Click Here!

Buffy subdomain review table

Okay,

I told everyone already that I made a mistake in a story merge (typo'd my query and didn't see the typo before executing). End result was that the bulk of the reviews ended up attached to one story.

So, to fix this, first I had to download the latest (at the time) back up of the entire database. It was either that, or have Nexcess restore the database entirely, which would have downed the entire archive for 3 to 5 hours. It took 30 hours to download the raw db file, as it's enormous.

Next was extracting the table data. But first, I had to find a plain text editor which could handle a file bigger than 2GB (the db file is 9GB in raw form, give or take a few hundred MB). Got that, installed it.

Next step was to open the file itself. That took about 25 minutes. From there, I copied the table data in to a new .sql file.

Keeping in mind I was at roughly 15% complete of fixing the review table data to begin with, I'm going to kill two birds with one stone. As I have to restore this, I may as well fix the scrambled stuff as I come across it as well. Yes, the reviews were scrambled years ago in the big crash as well.

With work and other RL obligations, I expect it'll take me roughly 1 to 2 week to finish the restore of the affected reviews to their stories.

Thanks again for your patience.

Okay, so you all know exactly what I'm doing now, which will explain why it's a tad time consuming, this task.

First, I had to split the review table in to smaller chunks for import. It's too big to import in one fell swoop.

Next, I have to split those smaller chunks in to a series of import queries, limiting the number of records per query to about 15 so that I don't get a time out while importing the records and then have nothing imported at all.

Finally, I have to be sure each record is on its own line, and the end of the record line has the proper closing mark for the line statement.

I've already got over 2500 imported back in, and am working on setting up more as we speak.